Colon Cancer - Symptoms, Diagnosis and Best Quality Affordable Treatment from Best Hospitals in India
Colorectal cancer, commonly known as bowel cancer is the third most commonly diagnosed cancer in the world, but it is more common in developed countries. Its symptoms usually are rectal bleeding and anaemia associated with weight loss and changes in bowel habits.
Colorectal Cancer initially starts in the lining of the bowel and if left untreated, can grow into the muscle layers underneath, and then through the bowel wall. Cancers that are confined within the wall of the colon are often curable with surgery. In more advanced stages Chemotherapy is helpful in extending the person life and improving quality of life.
RISK FACTORS - You are likely to have a higher risk for colon cancer if you :
- Are older than 60
- Are African American of eastern European descent
- Eat a diet high in red or processed meats
- Have cancer elsewhere in the body
- Have colorectal polyps
- Have inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis)
- Have a family history of colon cancer
- Have a personal history of breast cancerRequest a Call Back
Why you should choose World Class Hospitals in India for Colon Cancer Treatment ?
- Reputed Colon Cancer Specialists who have global experience and follow latest cancer treatment protocols.
- Complete Cancer Care under one roof- Right from cancer screening, early detection, multi-disciplinary treatment to rehabilitation.
- Affordable Cancer Treatment Packages.
- Latest High-end technology infrastructure like Robotic Surgery System, Brain Suite, Novalis Radiosurgery TX, PET Scan, CyberKnife , Gamma Knife, IMRT and IGRT that help quick diagnosis and recovery.
- Best quality Drugs, Medicines and Consumables for Cancer Care are produced in India at lowest cost and exported to World’s best hospital. This results in lowest overall cost of world class cancer treatment in India.
- Well trained English speaking Doctors, Nurses and Support Staff provide competent and compassionate Cancer care.
How is for Colon Cancer Diagnosed?
- Colonoscopy: An endoscope is inserted into the rectum and advanced through the colon, through this the doctor can examine the entire colon.
- Diagnosis is Confirmed with a Colon Biopsy - Stage of disease is confirmed by pathologists and imaging tests, such as computerized tomography (CT or CAT) scans
- Endoscopic Ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) may also be used to stage rectal cancer.
- Sigmoidoscopy : In this an endoscope is interested in the rectum and moved through the left side of the colon. It cannot be used to view the middle and right sides of the colon.
- Fecal Occult Blood Test (FOBT) : along with Complete blood count (CBC) to check for anemia and CT , MRI or PET scans of the abdomen, pelvic area.
Treatment Options Available for Colon Cancer at Top Cancer Hospitals in India
- The surgeon enters the abdomen by placing a canula (a narrow tube like instrument) into the abdomen (belly) through a small incision (½ -- ¼ inch).
- Carbon Dioxide gas is pumped into the abdomen through the port (cannula) to puff-up or inflate the belly, making working room for the surgeon.
- A laparoscope (a tiny telescope connected to a video camera) is placed through the canula, and allows the surgeon to see a magnified lighted view of the internal organs on a TV monitor.
- 2 to 4 other canulas are inserted to allow use of special instruments to work inside the abdominal cavity (belly).
- If a portion of the colon is removed, one of the small canula incisions is slightly enlarged to permit removal of the tissue.
Advantages of Minimal Invasive Laparoscopic Colon Cancer Surgery
- Minimally invasive, Less surgical trauma, shorter hospitalization, Improved cosmetic results
- Reduced post operative pain, faster recovery and return to daily activities and normal diet.
- Less postoperative pain killer requirementPost a Query
Other Modalities for Colon Cancer Treatment Available at our Hospitals in India
Colectomy - Large bowel resection is surgery to remove all or part of your large bowel. This surgery is also called colectomy. The large bowel is also called the large intestine or colon. Removal of the entire colon and the rectum is called a proctocolectomy. Removal of part or all of the colon but not the rectum is called subtotal colectomy.
Chemotherapy - Almost all patients with stage III colon cancer should receive chemotherapy after surgery for approximately 6 - 8 months. The chemotherapy drug 5-fluorouracil has been shown to increase the chance of a cure in certain patients. Chemotherapy is also used to improve symptoms and prolong survival in patients with stage IV colon cancer.
Radiofrequency Ablation for Metastatic Colorectal Cancer - Radiofrequency ablation leverages the power of microwave technology to help destroy colorectal cancer that has spread to the liver, the most common site to which the disease can spread. Radiofrequency ablation helps the surgeons and radiologists at Cancer Treatment Centers of America eliminate small liver tumors, often without the risks and discomfort associated with traditional surgery. Radiofrequency ablation is also less invasive and less painful.
Cancer is a class of diseases characterized by out-of-control cell growth, and colon cancer forms when this uncontrolled cell growth initiates with cells in the large intestine. Most colon cancersoriginate from small, noncancerous (benign) tumors called adenomatous polyps that form onthe inner walls of the large intestine. Some of these polyps may grow into malignant coloncancers over time if they are not removed during colonoscopy. Colon cancer cells will invadeand damage healthy tissue that is near the tumor causing many complications.Request a Call Back
Cost Estimate for Colon Cancer Treatment at World Class Hospitals in India
The patient needs to be admitted for 2 days at the hospital and following tests are carried:
- CT , MRI or PET scans of the abdomen, pelvic area
- Colon biopsy - to confirm stage of disease
- Fecal occult blood test (FOBT), Complete blood count (CBC)
RadioFrequency Catheter Ablation Treatment - $1500 to 1800 US Dollars
After the above tests are done the patient can be informed by the specialists about the treatment most appropriate for him and the cost estimate for the same.
Note - Cost Estimate for above include stay in a Private Room where a Companion can stay with the patient surgeon fee, medicines and consumables, nursing care, food and Airport Pick & Drop. More accurate treatment and cost estimates can be provided if medical reports are emailed to us or after the patient is examined by doctors after arrival at hospital in India and medical tests are done after admission.Refer a Patient
What People Say about us
"I had so many apprehensions and concerns prior to coming to India for surgery that I needed badly to regain my health. "Thanks for your always prompt responses to my volley of questions and concerns. I could not have managed even a step without your staff's excellent care. I couldn't be happier with the Indian hospitals, surgeon, physicians and their expertise. Everyone is very professional yet compassionate. All staff nurses and doctors are very attentive. My stay during treatment in India was very comfortable"
Ms. Janet Biuware, Cameroon. Post a Query
Write to us for a Free No Obligation Opinion and Cost Estimate for Colon Cancer Treatment from Top Doctors in India
Please scan and email your medical reports for a Free, No Obligation Opinion from India's leading Surgeons/ Specialist Doctors at India’s Best Hospitals with in 48 Hours of receipt.